The Arapahoe Philharmonic (AP), an orchestra in Littleton, Colorado, is seeking a part-time Assistant Conductor to begin work with the ensemble in August 2018 for the 2018–2019 concert season.
The AP rehearses on Tuesday evenings, with Friday evening dress rehearsals and Saturday evening performances during concert weeks. The full schedule will be available in late June.
- Reports to the Music Director, serves as cover conductor for rehearsals, sectionals and concerts and other programs as assigned. This includes personal preparation of all scores and providing written and verbal feedback on artistic matters relating to repertory (balance, intonation, dynamics, ensemble issues, etc.). Prepare for all concerts in the event he or she may need to step in with little notice.
- Conduct off stage ensembles or serve as score reader for supertitles or other production needs.
- Prepare written musical commentary as instructed, delivery of select pre-concert talks may be requested.
- Perform duties and functions as assigned by the Music Director.
- Be responsible for organizing the conducting lab program.
- Assistant Conductor has the option to serve on the Educational and Artistic Committees and to be present for OAC meetings.
- May be asked to conduct on select concerts at the discretion of the Music Director.
- Meaningful orchestral conducting experience and broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire and concert programming.
- Ability to run rehearsals efficiently, exceptional time management and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in music or music education preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English to musicians, staff and a wide range of audience members.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
$4,000 for the season, paid over the 10-month concert season, August 2018 through May 2019.
The Assistant Conductor will be an independent contractor.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their materials electronically no later than July 16, 2018, to:
Erin Acheson, Arapahoe Philharmonic Executive Director
All applicants are required to submit the following:
- Current resume or CV
- List of repertoire conducted
- Two letters of recommendation, and contact information for three professional references
- Conducting footage (links) showing a range of at least three different styles of music and diverse conducting abilities. Video footage should be no longer than 15 minutes total.
Two to three candidates will be selected as finalists by July 23, 2018, and will be invited to rehearse the orchestra the evening of August 14, 2018 as the final audition round. Repertoire: Schumann Symphony no. 3 in E-flat major.